Words from the Pastor - April 2015
“So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ...and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us” (2 Corinthians 5:17-19).
It is time to come out of our hibernation and be out and about! I don’t know about you but, although I’ve been active throughout the winter, I’m tired of being cold all the time. It’s great to see signs of spring!
As a church, I’m hoping we are also coming out and into the world around us. Springtime is vitally important for the ministry of Christ Church. It’s our window of opportunity before the summer vacations and plans take precedence.
Last year, we adopted the vision for ministry of being a church that is “reaching out and bringing people together both within the congregation and in the community around us to the glory of God.”
Our Christ Church family is wonderful. We have so much to offer those around us in the way of friendship and support. But, most important, we offer the spiritual path of Christ that is powerful and transformative. How can the church be of service and in partnership with our community for our mutual benefit?
Our evangelism committee has been revived and met recently with a discussion on the subject of church growth and a goal to welcome one hundred (100) new members in the next five (5) years (twenty (20) members per year). Now, that’s quite a goal in this age when people are moving away from the traditional church . . . quite a goal . . . but absolutely possible. I believe that God is at work in our midst but he requires our commitment, participation and faith.
New ideas are coming forth. I’ll share a few:
- You will soon hear about the establishment of small groups in different locations for the purpose of reconnecting with each other and sharing our hopes and ideas for our future growth.
- An outreach to the Steward Middle School. Cookies for the teachers on Teacher Appreciation Week, May 4-8, and our providing tutoring help after school with the kids.
- May 3 - joint activities with the “Fountain of Living Waters” church which meets in our building.
- Outreach and publicity to the community regarding our “Experiment in Worship” Sunday evening informal worship.
- Celebration Sunday? Not a new idea but a great way to connect after worship...thanks Vicki! Anyone else want to take charge of one?
How our church is represented to the community is very important.
We want people to know who we are and what we we’re all about.
Let’s hear your idea too!